Sometimes we have to go back to the basics with our traditional food. Moi moi is one of those slightly tasking meals because it could easily go wrong if you don’t pay attention to the details.
Recipe makes 13 wraps of moi moi.
- 1½ cups brown beans
- 1 red onion
- ½ – 1 ata rodo (depending on size)
- 2 thin slices of ginger
- 3 cups of water
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsps ground crayfish
- 2 caps of olive oil
- 5 Knorr
- 12 shrimp (deveined and boiled)
- Moi moi leaves aka uma leaves
- Soak beans for about an hour, and then peel until skin is completely removed.
- In a clean blender, add the clean beans, red onion, ata rodo, ginger, crayfish and three cups of water.
- Blend till finely smooth.
- Boil shrimp with some seasoning for about five minutes. When shrimps are cooked, cut in half.
- Transfer beans mix to a bowl and break in eggs, then add Knorr, crayfish, and olive oil. Mix until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Wash moi moi leaves and set on tray.
- Fold your leaves like a cone, and then bend the bottom part. Pour in moi moi mixture. Before closing the moi moi, add in two shrimp.
- On low heat, place wrapped moi moi in a pot halfway filled with water and some leaves.
- Repeat step seven until you have finished the mixture.
- Cook for about 30 – 45 minutes or until well-formed and done.
- Enjoy with some garri or ogi.
Hadiza Lawal is a student at Kennesaw State University and the author of wovenblends.com, a lifestyle blog dedicated to fashion, food and life.