I love potatoes and I’m constantly trying to find new and exciting ways to enjoy it. One of my best potato recipes is the breakfast skillet potatoes. It is simply potatoes cooked to perfection in a skillet as opposed to being cooked in an oven. I particularly love this dish because it is very filling; it can be eaten as a full meal without requiring any sides. Bacon is included in this recipe but if you do not eat pork, then feel free to do without it.
Ingredients: Recipe serves three
- 5 big potatoes (Irish)
- 200g bacon, diced (optional)
- 1 red bell pepper (optional)
- 1 green pepper
- 2 tbsps vegetable oil
- 1 small onion
- 1 tsp paprika powder (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 Knorr chicken cubes
- Salt to taste
- Wash, peel and chop your potatoes into small cubes, then place the cubed potatoes into a microwave and cook on full power for five minutes.
- Set a skillet or non-stick frying pan on medium heat, transfer your chopped bacon into the cold pan, turn the heat to medium. Fry the bacon till fully cooked. When it’s cooked, transfer the bacon into a plate; leaving the oil in the pan.
- Add the vegetable oil into the pan, then, transfer the potatoes into the oil. Make sure your pan is large enough to accommodate the potatoes without them overlapping. Leave the potatoes to fry without moving them around for three to four minutes or until they are brown at the bottom. Toss them around for even cooking.
- When the potatoes begin to soften, add the Knorr cubes, paprika, thyme and salt to taste.
- Stir and combine and continue to cook till almost soft.
- Now, add the onions, garlic and ginger. Then, add chopped peppers and cook for a minute.
- Add bacon back into the pan and fry till the potatoes are well cooked.
- Serve immediately.